This is Irelands only PHECC accredited BTEC Basic Tactical Emergency Care course and ESTI is Irelands only provider of the BTEC Basic Tactical Emergency Care course. It is an unfortunate state of affairs that now exists in the world where the instances of “active shooter” or “marauding terrorists ” multi casualty events, due to a person or persons wielding firearms or knives in schools, shopping centres and most recently a cinema, have heralded the deployment of SWAT officers and other police type emergency service units more often than ever before.
Looking at these occurances, most would champion the more rigorous enforcements of gun control; however a realisation that legislation alone will not stop the increasing amount of these incidents has forced the psyche of US law enforcement to accept that they need to prepare for the WHEN rather than IF an event unfolds in their jurisdiction. With this inevitable event on their horizon they are now training their ESU, SWAT, ATF and other response agents to deal with these scenarios.
Obviously casualties will be involved, in fact it is estimated that every 15 seconds a person is injured during such crimes. Recent studies in shooting related crime and battlefield injuries show that 10% of persons that are shot die from the shooting directly e.g. shots to the head. The other 90% die predominately from airway / respiratory compromise or massive haemorrhaging, both of which could be relatively easily treated resulting in a favourable outcome for the victim.
Early advanced airway management through Oropharangeal, Nasopharangeal and Supraglottic airways can rapidly relieve a compromised airway. The re-emergence of tourniquets and their application in the tactical environment to all haemorrhaging limb injuries until the patient can be safely assessed is also a significant development.
The use of haemostatic agents which are the subject of controversy in some fields have also found a home as a short term solution until more definitive treatment can be given in a forward hospital or aid station.
With these lessons being hard learned in the battlefields of Afghanistan and Iraq their implementation in the “active shooter” environment has found credibility as airway compromises and arterial bleeding can result in a victim or rescuer death in minutes. Time being a crucial factor in survival now sees medics (EMTs / paramedics) entering the hostile area with the SWAT “stack” enabling medical treatment in seconds for casualties rather than minutes as before when such personnel were “staged” behind the cordon. This opens up a necessity for SWAT operators to understand basic and advanced medical care techniques and medics requiring “tactical” training in SWAT techniques and equipment.
BTEC Basic Tactical Emergency Care courses are now helping to fill the training void and resulting requirements of both disciplines. Europe is not immune to “active shooter” incidents, as recent and past history has unfortunately shown. European military and police tactical teams, as well as medics, need to now prepare for the worst.
With this in mind Emergency Services Training Institute (ESTI) has become accredited as Irelands only PHECC certified company to run BTEC Basic Tactical Emergency Care courses in Ireland to help prepare European personnel for the worst case scenario.
As an already qualified Emergency First Responder (EFR), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic you can do this course as a 1 day add on module. this course is also offered as a stand alone 6 day EFR BTEC Emergency First Response Basic Tactical Emergency Care course.
Is your agency ready for THAT call? Are YOU ready for THAT call?
If the answer is NO contact us for information and details of our next BTEC Basic Tactical Emergency Care courses.
Contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +353 (0)1 409 8113